4th Day Adventist

June 17, 2015

No, I’m not starting a new church. Our pastor calls us forth day adventist because we celebrate Sabbath on Wednesday.

For years, I made noise over on The Generous Husband about the importance of Sabbath. I knew it, but I was not living it. The final conviction came from reading Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: It’s Impossible to Be Spiritually Mature, While Remaining Emotionally Immature (an excellent, life altering book – read at your own risk!). So, fifteen months ago Lori and I decided it was time to live this.

Couple Relaxing © bst2012 | dollarphotoclub.com

The problem is Sunday is not a day of rest for us. This was even more true back then. We looked at our scheduled and decided Wednesday was a better day. Since then we’ve done a real day off every single Wednesday. No hard physical work, and no on-line work other than checking comments (because a nasty comment can easily smell as bad as a dead ox in a well!). I’ve fudged by less than an hour once, and Lori not at all. We take our rest seriously! We spend time with friends, we go have coffee together, we have some afternoon delight, we rest, and we play. We have a Wednesday gathering with other Christians, so we get worship, prayer, and study too.

More than a year later, I have no idea how we survived so long without a day of rest. The difference it’s made in our lives is far greater than I imagined possible. We look forward to our Sabbath, and we feel rested and recharged afterwards. Having to have certain things done before Wednesday has taught me to plan and scheduled better. It’s given my life a healthy rhythm, and made me feel so much better about pretty much everything- including my marriage.

If you don’t have a real day of rest, I urge you to pray about getting one. Not just you, your whole family. I know how difficult it is to come to a full stop in our busy modern lives. If you’re too busy to take a Sabbath you really need it! I spent years modifying my life so a day of rest was possible. I had to cut back on certain things and get rid of a few others. Basically, I had to cut back to a sane level of activity, which is something we should all do anyway.

BTW, if you think it’s not possible to have Sabbath on Wednesday, check out Romans 14:5.

~ Paul – I’m XY, and I’m learning how to rest!

Image Credit: © bst2012 | dollarphotoclub.com

Me June 17, 2015 at 6:20 am

Great post, Paul. A day of rest is so important. We’re not as restful as we should be, but we’re getting there. My husband is an admitted workaholic. For the first 15 or so years of our marriage he worked 7 days a week. He has not worked on Sundays (usually) for a couple years. I just recently turned 40, and as I realized I’m officially middle aged and it’s all down hill from here, I was sad about what we’ve missed, but extra thankful that he started taking Sundays off to be with us. I read articles about “date nights” and family vacations, and it makes me sad that I’m almost a senior citizen and we missed out on so much family time! Our kids are teens, and as children they didn’t get much of his time either. I think he regrets that, but he’s trying to make time now. We don’t always rest, our Sundays usually involve church and a lot of work around the house, but at least we’re all together. If you’re still young, with little ones, take time for rest and time as a family. You can’t get it back. The positive part of all this though, is – better late than never, right?

Paul Byerly June 17, 2015 at 7:43 am

@Me Sounds like you and your husband are getting wiser as you mature!
Paul Byerly recently posted…One Thing at A TimeMy Profile

Kay June 17, 2015 at 8:32 am

Suggestions for during the little years? I am a WAHM, so I try not to work on weekends, but let’s face it; with three kids under the age of six, every day looks pretty much the same. (Though I am with you; Sunday’s are awful right now. The LEAST restful day of the week.) I have recently been taking a “Sabbath morning” on Saturdays, since it’s the best I can do right now. I need to leave the kids and house for some alone time, otherwise there would be no resting. Even that hour or two makes a huge difference for me since it is the only time all week I am off duty, so I can only imagine what an entire day would be like. But for now, I don’t know how to do a Sabbath day without setting myself up for failure the next day by having to catch up on everything I didn’t do the day before.

Stephen Howe June 17, 2015 at 10:50 am

Just make it happen, planning helps a lot. On Sundays we only wash laundry if something is peed (ie sheets/cloths of little kids), don’t wash any dishes we don’t need (except the plates/bowls/cups/silverware in the dishwasher we use during that day), and general don’t go out to buy stuff. Lunch is either prepared in Saturday or simple like mac & cheese, frozen chicken fingers + chips, burgers, etc. Nothing that needs more then a few minutes prep.

After a while we just got it down so things are ready so we get a sabbath. Sure we’ll have a pile of clothes on the couch and the lawn isn’t necessary mowed, but in reality those need to be done all the time so it’s not that important right now. Think 7 habits of highly effective people’s 4 quadrant system: the sabboth is on the important/not urgent quadrant so that means plan for it ahead of time so it’s not a “panic mode!” when it happens.

So… plan to make it a day of rest. We’ve got a 14, 10, 6 & 4 year old so 4 years ago we had a bunch of young’ns too. :)

Paul Byerly June 17, 2015 at 8:38 pm

@Kay – Stephen has some good ideas below. Get creative, and get the whole family in on it. Teaching the kids about resting is a great thing to do. They don’t need it now, but they can learn how to do it so they will when they do need it.
Starting with a morning once a week is huge, good for you. Once we see it as a priority it starts to happen.
Paul Byerly recently posted…One Thing at A TimeMy Profile

IntimacySeeker June 18, 2015 at 2:40 am

One of the things I admire most about my pastor is the way he guards his Sabbath. He takes Mondays off–no exceptions. Someone else is available for pastoral care that day. And I admire that about you and Lori too! Thanks for setting an example for us.

I think preparing for Sabbath is key, just as important as preparing for worship. I tell others that the hour or so we spend in corporate worship is VERY important and deserving of our best efforts.

Sundays can be less stressful if families spend a bit of time preparing on Saturday: clothes laid out, offerings gathered, car gassed up, etc. We can share excitement about worship with our children as we prepare them for bed the night before.

Paul Byerly June 18, 2015 at 9:47 am

@IntimacySeeker – I also respect pastors who take a real day off. Sadly many do not manage it, and it’s much harder than it should be.
Preparation is important. I makes Sabbath easier, it gets us in the right mind set, gives our live a rhythm, and teaches us important skills.
Paul Byerly recently posted…A Goal Oriented Marriage??My Profile

Cory June 18, 2015 at 5:56 am

What a great post Paul. Our family started the practice of Sabbath Rest a few years ago. It has be revolutionary for us. Sunday is a work day for us. We practice it from Friday evening to Saturday evening. It has been a good time for us. No work. Family day. Personal rest day. Rest in the Lord (bible study, prayer, etc.). There are time when our Ox is in a ditch, but these times only highlight the need for sabbath rest even more. I would encourage anyone who is not practicing sabbath rest to start somewhere. If you can’t take an entire day, then carve out time from your week on a regular basis. Have a starting time and a stopping time. “For this amount of time on this day, during the week, I will rest in the Lord.”

Paul Byerly June 18, 2015 at 9:48 am

@Cory It’s a message sadly lacking in much of the Church today. I guess we think we’ve outgrown it!
Paul Byerly recently posted…A Goal Oriented Marriage??My Profile

IntimacySeeker June 18, 2015 at 6:24 am

My hubby leans toward the workaholic lifestyle, so I identify with some of the comments above. Often, his first words to me in the morning center on what I am to accomplish first thing. I have learned to reply with a bit of humor: “I love you too sweetheart!” :-)

I remember a Sunday morning years ago when due to a significant amount of snowfall and treacherous road conditions, worship services were cancelled all across our region. I had severe menstrual cramps that morning and decided to take some pain reliever, brew a cup of tea, and read a book in front of the fireplace. My husband walked in several times and exclaimed, “You’re just going to sit there and read?!!?”

I also remember crying when reading one of the James Herriott novels, a section when he talked about buying a larger house and wanting to employ someone to help with the household chores so his wife wouldn’t have to work so hard. I longed to be cared for that way.

My daughters and I employed a cathartic exercise when he would be gone for a weekend seminar or other activity. We would intentionally NOT load the dishwasher until just before he came home. It seemed the only time we could relax in our own home was when he was away.

I don’t mean to pick on my hubby–he’s a great guy. I mean to point out that when we are unable to do Sabbath ourselves, we can make it difficult for others in our household to set aside time to “be” rather than “do.” I think Paul and Lori choosing together to make this a priority sets a great example for us! WAY TO GO!

Paul Byerly June 18, 2015 at 9:51 am

@IntimacySeeker – For us it was very much a joint decision, coming at the end of a multi-year process. We read the book I mentioned together, and that was the real catalyst for doing it.
After more than a year I would never go back unless I literally would die if I did not skip Sabbath. There are many, many thing I would give up before I’d give up Sabbath.
Paul Byerly recently posted…A Goal Oriented Marriage??My Profile

lynn June 18, 2015 at 10:00 am

I was raised to do ‘no servile labor on the Lord’s Day’ and I can tell you, it’s sometimes a cross to bear, when I see the grass knee deep and know it’s going to rain on Monday. But as far as quality of life, it’s really worth it, and now that I’m married, it means we automatically have an afternoon to use for recreation, whatever that may be – just being in the house without my feeling I need to clean or do laundry, or going out to a movie or out with friends or family. Since I workworkwork the other six days, I think my day of rest is a good thing for my marriage.

Jay Dee - SeekingGodsKingdom.com June 21, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Respectfully, Paul, I need to challenge you on this one, on two points:

First, I’ve mentioned the whole Sabbath is Saturday issue before, so I won’t reiterate that here, but I do a more involved argument on my new blog (www.SeekingGodsKingdom.com) if you, or anyone else, care to read it. If not, no problem. On it, I’m going through some of the core beliefs of the 7th Day Adventist denomination, Sabbath keeping being one, but not the only one, of them.

But, your quoting of Romans 14:5 worries me. You’ve removed the context to make this verse about Sabbath, when it is clearly about fasting. New Christians were arguing whether or not one needed to fast from meat on Sabbath in order to worship properly. Paul is telling them that the choice to fast or not on any particular day is up to them. It opens with:

“For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him.”

Then is the verse you quoted, and then it follows up with:

“He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.”

Clearly this is about what day you fast on, not what day Sabbath is. Nowhere in this passage, nor, I’d argue, any other, does he call into question that Sabbath is Saturday.

For more information, check out my linked post below.

P.S. Your title has a typo.
Jay Dee – SeekingGodsKingdom.com recently posted…Does the Bible support Sunday worship instead of Saturday?My Profile

Paul Byerly June 21, 2015 at 9:28 pm

@Jay Dee – Clearly it’s about fasting? I hardly see it as such. To me these are two examples. Verse 5 is the second example, and six is discussing the two examples together. Later Paul mentions the drinking of wine, a third example.
If this were the only mention of the issues in scripture we I can see arguing for either, but given other references I see no way to make this about fasting on the Sabbath.
Where is this passage about fasting? Seems you have assumed some background information which I don’t find in the Bible.
Actually I never thought of this verse in the context till I heard Dr. Emerson Eggerichs use it as such in a podcast. I thought he was right, so I mentioned it here.
Fixed the title error – at least we can agree on spelling!
Paul Byerly recently posted…Happy Father’s Day!My Profile

Jay Dee - SeekingGodsKingdom.com June 22, 2015 at 4:26 am

That it goes on to talk about wine (another thing people fast from) seems to bolster my interpretation . Looks like the whole chapter is on this topic. I know of no other background, it’s just what I see what I read it. I’ll have to look up this Emerson person, never heard of him. To make it about Sabbath, to me, that’s a stretch.
Jay Dee – SeekingGodsKingdom.com recently posted…Daniel’s longest prophecyMy Profile