Thirty One Years

January 27, 2016

Today Lori and I celebrate our 31st wedding anniversary. Most of the years have been good, but a few early on were not the stuff of our dreams.

Paul & Lori © Paul H. Byerly

Thing is, we had a goal, a vision. We believed it was possible to have a great marriage, a marriage where we both felt loved and fulfilled. Why we felt that way is hard to explain, because honestly we expected something which exceeded anything either of us had seen in any couple. Some would call that crazy; we call it faith.

I’m thrilled to report God has done far more than we asked! Neither of us is perfect, and our marriage isn’t perfect, but both of us are happy in our marriage and we feel good about each other and where we’re headed. We love, respect, and enjoy each other deeply and it just gets better every year. Our problems are fewer, smaller, and more easily navigated than ever, and we grow closer and deeper in love every day.

Please realise we didn’t go into marriage with what one needs to have a great marriage. We had more than enough issues to destroy a marriage, we lacked a good support network, and when we went looking for help we didn’t find what we needed. I say this to show you God can do amazing things despite what we lack.

Today my prayer is every one of you will step out in faith. God wants you to have a better marriage and He’s fully able to make it happen. I realise your husband is half the problem and you can’t change him, but you can change you and give your husband to God.

~ Paul – I’m XY, and I really love my wife!

Image Credit: © Paul H. Byerly

We are donation supported – thanks for your help!

Meghan January 27, 2016 at 6:24 am

Congratulations on your anniversary and thanks so much to both of you for all of the inspiration and encouragement you and Lori provide!

Me January 27, 2016 at 6:40 am

Happy Anniversary!!! I hope you have a wonderful, restful day together!

Mike January 27, 2016 at 7:25 am

Have a great 32nd year!! We have 51 years behind us. Some rough years until lately. Found your site and others and have reconnected with my wife. We are happier than we have every been in our marriage. Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy January 27, 2016 at 8:04 am

Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful picture of you two!
Amy recently posted…A new year and new beginnings…My Profile

IntimacySeeker January 27, 2016 at 8:59 am

Heartfelt congratulations. Your readers celebrate with you in spirit. Thanks for all the candid sharing and bold encouragement.

Brenda Mosher January 27, 2016 at 9:36 am

Thank you for who you are and what you give. Your honest and loving posts have made such a difference in our marriage. There has been healing and and restored genuine love. It’s a lot more fun now!! Have a beautiful anniversary and year to come, enjoying the gift of each other.

Frank January 27, 2016 at 12:16 pm

But your just in middle school.
We’ve been married 44 years.
But with the way marriages are going 31 years and longer makes us look like dinosaurs.

Paul Byerly January 28, 2016 at 8:11 am

@ALL – Thanks so much!

@Frank – Sadly true. But we’re trying to change that!
Paul Byerly recently posted…Skill Up your MarriageMy Profile