Why Does He Hate My Friends?
Does your husband dislike your friends? Is dislike too mild a word for his feelings?
One possible reason is he is a jerk. If this is the case, I have no advice. However, the odds are something else is going on.
- He does not like how your friends treat him.
- He does not like how they treat you.
- He fears they are a bad influence on you. (This could be as simple as you having many single friends, or a growing number of divorced friends.)
- He is jealous of how much time you spend with your friends.
- He is jealous of your emotional connection with your friends.
Friends are important, and they play a powerful role in our lives. The power your friends wield can result in harm to your marriage.
If your husband is unhappy about your friends, do some thinking. Is it all your friends or just some of them? Have his feelings changed over time? Looking at your friends objectively, is there any reason for concern? After you think through these things, have a talk with your husband. Verify what you think he feels, and find out why he feels as he does. Look for real issues, and work on those.
~ Paul – I’m XY, and I do not understand female friendships!