Got Unreasonable Christmas Expectations?
What are your Christmas expectations? We all have expectations, how can we not? Expectations can add to our excitement and enjoyment, but they can also set us up for disappointment and problems.
Are your holiday expectations reasonable? Do they get in the way of you and/or your family enjoying the holidays? Do your expectations make it difficult for you or your family to celebrate the true reason for the season?
A few problematic expectations to get you thinking:
- What do you expect in the way of gifts? Are you often disappointed in what you receive? Do you feel your husband misses it or doesn’t put enough effort into what he gives you?
- Are your expectations of your kids behaviour realistic?
- Do you have unrealistic expectations for how family gatherings will go?
- How about traditions? Do you get upset if one is missed or “done wrong”. Traditions are great, and a good way to build love and make memories, but when the tradition is more important than the family you have a problem.
- What about your time? Do you expect to be able to do far more than you really can, resulting in tiredness, grumpiness, and worse?
Having unrealistic expectations for yourself is bad. Putting unrealistic expectations on others is unloving.
~ Paul – I’m XY, and I’m doing better at having reality-based expectations!