When In Doubt, Ignore It
Does your husband tend to ignore you? Or maybe I should ask “How often does your husband ignore you?”
There are a variety of reasons beyond just being rude that a man ignores his wife:
- He has no idea what she’s talking about, and silence seems better than demonstrating he’s clueless.
- She has talked so much he is no longer listening.
- He feels what she is saying is dangerous territory. If anything he says could start a disagreement, saying nothing seems wise.
- He doesn’t know anything about the subject and decides opening his mouth would just show his ignorance.
- He’s reached his talk limit for the day.
How you deal with this depends on the reason(s) for his ignoring. However, starting with what’s most important is a good idea regardless of his why.
~ Paul – I’m XY, and around here I talk more and I get ignored on occasion.